Lori Ryan

Rachel Thompson

Aicha Zoubair

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Najeev Raj Nadarajah on Reading and Growing Up @NRNadarajah #Fantasy #AmReading #Fiction


Who is your favorite author?
J.R.R. Tolkien, and the runner up is J.K. Rowling.
What genre of books do you adore?
I’m a fantasy buff. About 90% of the books I read fall into that genre. Aside from that, I’ve enjoyed some mystery, certain historical fiction, a little bit of sci-fi, and a bit of literary fiction.
What book should everybody read at least once? 
The Harry Potter series. For those who love reading, this is a must read. For those who don’t read, this is the perfect series to get them reading. The Harry Potter series is one that caters to almost anyone, regardless of age, gender, or reading preference.
Are there any books you really don’t enjoy? 
Books that thin down and degrade certain genres. There are many, many books I can name that have come out in recent years that have utterly and completely devastated certain genres, as well as folklore that took past generations many, many years to build. So that I don’t go on a rant, I’ll leave it at that.
What do you hope your obituary will say about you? 
That I loved life; I did what I wanted, how I wanted, when I wanted; that I loved to break down barriers when people said something couldn’t be done; and that I loved to make people laugh.
Location and life experiences can really influence writing, tell us where you grew up and where you now live? 
Until I’d turned four, I lived in Jaffna, Sri Lanka, a small tropical island south of India. However, I’ve been a Torontonian since 1989 and don’t have any plans of leaving the city anytime soon.
How did you develop your writing? 
There were three things I did over a span of roughly ten years which ultimately helped me develop my writing.
1.  I read a lot…quite a lot, actually.
2.  I wrote a lot. Long before my debut novel, Dream Caster, came to be, I wrote a 176,000 word manuscript to an epic fantasy novel. I was still in school then, and my writing hadn’t fully developed into what it is now. Needless to say, that novel never saw the light of day. Now that I look back, there were many glaring mistakes all throughout that novel. Was it a waste of time? No. I learned quite a bit from writing that story. Most of what I was able to use when I finally decided to start work on Dream Caster.
3.  Finally, I helped a lot of my family and friends with their writing assignments. You learn quite a bit when you start looking at other people’s works, their styles, the mistakes they make, etc. 
Where do you get your inspiration from? 
Most of the inspiration I get is from the dreams I have and the experiences I’m often thrust into. The sights I’ve come across during my upbringing in Toronto have played a vital role in my world building for Dream Caster.
Is your family supportive? Do your friends support you?
Simply put, I wouldn’t be in the position I’m in now if it wasn’t for my support cast of family and friends.
Do you plan to publish more books? 
Definitely.
Dreamweaver, book two in the Dream Cycle is already written and undergoing edits for an upcoming release. Dream Walker, book three in the Dream Cycle is now currently being worked on and should be completed before year’s end.
On the side, I’ve also written two picture eBooks for adults: Uncle Jeever’s Morbid Tales, Volumes 1 and 2.
My ultimate goal is to write and keep on writing until my fingers grow brittle and I lose my vision form old age. There are still many stories I’d like to tell, and I hope to keep on doing that for as long as I can.
What else do you do to make money, other than write? It is rare today for writers to be full time… 
I work at University of Toronto as a building patrol for their libraries. It’s a great job where I meet a wide variety of interesting (and eccentric) people, and it allows me time to write.

Haunted by memories of his massacred settlement, sixteen-year-old Weaver seeks cover in a hidden refuge among the remains of a ruined city. In the midst of building a new life, Weaver discovers that he has the amazing power to cast his dreams into reality. Convinced it’s just an anomaly, Weaver ignores it. That is until he learns of a mysterious man who shares the ability, and uses his power to bring nightmares into existence and wage war on the world. The peaceful life Weaver hoped for begins to unravel as waves of chaos begin to break loose about him. In a race against time, Weaver must learn to accept his role as a dream caster and master his new power, before his new home is destroyed and humanity is pushed to the brink of extinction.
Buy @ Amazon & Smashwords
Genre – Fantasy
Rating – PG
More details about the author
Connect with Najeev Raj Nadarajah on Facebook & Twitter

0 comments:

Dí lo que piensas...